Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Canning!





Last week I was super busy trying to can two boxes of delicious Bartlett pears. It was a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it. There is some sense of satisfaction for me in knowing that I did it. I don't have a lot of experience canning, and this was my first time doing pears, but I am happy with my results. Angie I wish you were here and we could have had a blast together. Grandma, I know these don't look as pretty as yours, but I hope they are just as tasty! Thanks for your tips!I ended up making 34 quarts of pears and 12 pints of delicious pear syrup! I got the recipe online at http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/407/Recipe.cfm

For my canned pears I tried using honey instead of sugar for some of them. I haven't tasted them yet, but I hope they will be good. I am sure I will like them because I love honey. I made peach jam a month ago and used apple juice and honey instead of sugar and it turned out wonderfully! Honey is healthier than sugar, and usually replaces it quite well in most recipes(even in zucchini bread)! Thanks Becky for getting me into honey!

Anyway, now that is finished I can get back to my normal routine. I spent 13 or 14 hours last week canning! I am glad it is over, but I honestly had fun doing it! I love fall and I love to be in the kitchen cooking! If you have any good recipes, please send them my way. I am going to start posting some of the new ones I try that I like. Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Emily said...

DO you use the equal amount of honey that you would the sugar? I will have to try that!