We just bought a few bags of oats, wheat, beans and sugar and so I finally sealed them up so we don't get weevils again! That happened last year and was a gross and costly experience. They love oats! So, if you have oats, do NOT leave them in the paper bag they come in, you'll probably end up with weevils and a lot of wasted money.
Anyway, I found some info online about how to seal your food at home, here goes... You'll need mylar bags, oxygen pouches, buckets, lids, a sharpie, and an iron, oh, and a broom for when you are all done. When the kids help it gets a little messy. You can get the mylar bags ($.37/ea) and oxygen absorbers ($.07/ea) at the LDS Cannery. First you pour your food product into the mylar bag and then put in an oxygen pouch. Don't fill it too full because you have to lay it on it's side to seal it with a hot iron. I promise it won't ruin your iron. I use the same iron we use for our clothes and it is fine. After it is sealed write what is in it and where and when you bought it. Then place your bags in a bucket and write on the bucket what is inside and then put a lid on it. You will probably need to use a rubber mallet. Now your food is double-sealed and should last for a good length of time because of the oxygen absorber. Make sure you put them in the bucket when your done and not the next day because they will get hard as rocks once the oxygen is sucked out and you won't be able to squish them to fit. This has worked great for us. It doesn't take too long and the kids love to help! I think it is a great and cheap way to save your food! Happy Food Storing!
1 comment:
I use cans at the cannery.
Post a Comment