My poor little Ammon broke both bones in his forearm yesterday at the park. He was running across the playground when a 10 or 11 year old boy jumped from a swing and crashed into him. Ammon land on his belly on top of his left arm, and he is left-handed! I had my back to him when it happened but as soon as he screamed I knew it was him and that it was probably not a simple little owie. I gathered the kids and drove home, which is only a few minutes away. He had calmed down a little in the car but as soon as we got home and he tried to get out of the car I knew we were going to end up at the hospital or Urgent Care. He started screaming and wouldn't move his arm at all. I called Adam and he said to call Shaun (our brother-in-law who is an orthopaedic doctor). Shaun was great! He calmed Ammon down and got his mind off the pain for a few minutes! Shaun we wish you were closer! Watching Ammon's face as he talked was so sad. He was trying so hard not to cry and be big and brave but I could tell he was really hurt. It is so hard for me to see my kids in pain! I wanted to cry for him! Shaun said he needed x-rays so we headed off to the ER. Thankfully we got right in, and Adam got there right after us. Ammon was glad to have daddy there. He started crying when we pulled in and Adam wasn't there yet. He was much happier after Adam got there. It did take awhile for them to get him some medicine and to get his x-rays, but we survived. The doctor said it is a non-displaced fracture in both bones. They put a splint on him and gave him a sling too. Ammon is excited about getting a cast, but not about all the pain. We go to the orthopaedic doctor tomorrow and if it isn't too swollen he will get a cast. It could be on for four to six weeks and he may need two or three casts depending on how dirty and loose they get. This will be a spendy bill! It is worth it for him to heal though. I hope it stops hurting soon. We keep doing Motrin every six hours. Thankfully he is being sooooo good. We are already on our third movie today. He and Lily are LOVING it. We don't watch TV very often so they are thrilled. I hope tonight goes well. He only woke up once last night! I slept with him for a bit and he told me this morning that he slept better when mommy was with him! I love you Ammon!
Of course my batteries in my camera died when we got to the hospital so I don't have any pictures of how sad but cute he looked in his wheelchair with his arm propped up on the pillow. He seriously was darling. He was so brave! I kept telling him he could cry if he needed to. He was on the verge of tears but held them back even when they tried moving his arm and touching it to find out where it hurt. He was awesome! Braver than me! I started feeling a little faint when they were wrapping it up and moving it around and I had to sit down. Can you imagine if I had passed out?! I tell you, I really don't do well with my kid's owies. The other night Ammon had a bloody nose and I felt like I was going to pass out as I was helping him try to stop it. I had to sit down then too. Oh dear I am really in for it!
5 comments:
Mom called me yesterday and told me about this. Poor thing. Sick or hurt kids is the worst. I hope he starts feeling better soon and that it will heal fast. Tell him that we love him and are thinking about him.
Oh poor little guy! Broken bones are the worst. He's sounds like a real trooper though! My Drew gets his cast off in 2 1/2 weeks.. it is so sad to see them in so much pain!
That is really sad! Hope he gets feeling better fast! I am dreading having to watch Braxton go through something like that! Tell him Uncle Levi is proud of him for being so brave!
Oh, ouch! I'm sorry that I missed you when you were in town the other day. It was fun to see you for a sec though! I'm excited for your upcoming move and the new life changes it will bring. You are a great gal and I'm glad to hear things are going well for you :)
Keyonna! I found you through Katie's blog, hope you don't mind. Poor Ammon! Hope he's feeling better soon.
Post a Comment