Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"The Burner"




Ammon had his first pinewood derby this year. I am really proud of him. He designed and built his car all on his own. Adam helped with the sawing, but Ammon did everything else. We made suggestions and showed him designs, but he didn't want anything but what he had in mind. I feel bad because he lost every race, but he was such a good sport. He even said after it was over, "I still got an award and I lost every race!" Talk about optimism! (I guess he didn't realize that everyone got an award). Next year I think he has a good idea about what to build so he does better. It didn't help that his car was only three ounces. He didn't like my idea of weights in it. I think he will go for it next year.
I have to admit I was a little frustrated that night. It was totally clear that many of the boys did not build their own cars. Some of them were really cool, but the dads carried them in all wrapped in cloth and in special boxes so they didn't get ruined. I think what they should do is have every boy and his father make a car and let the dads have their own race. It just isn't fair to the boys who actually do all the work on their own.
I am just glad that Ammon had a good time. He is such a great boy!

No comments: